While technology offers us more ways to "connect", it can also turn family "socials" into a bevy of text messages, emails, friending and following. The island of Jamaica has a host of year-round events and attractions for the entire family, ensuring loved ones can spend as little or as much quality time together as they’d like.
According to a 2014 Virtuoso Luxe report, multi-generational travel is the number one trend of the year.
'We know modern life can be extremely demanding," said John Lynch, Jamaica’s Director of Tourism. “Our hotel partners feature all-inclusives, villas, and adjoining hotel spaces; making multi-generational travel seamless. Families will find a friendly home away from home with their loved ones while in Jamaica.”
The destination has more attractions that any other English speaking Caribbean country. From adventure excursions to relaxing on a bamboo raft, the island has a variety of options for a range of age groups and budgets. A unique activity is the “Meet the People” program, which pairs visitors with locals of shared interests to create a more authentic experience.
Whether travel is between an aunt and niece, grandparents and grandchildren or an extended family, below is a sample of what the island has to offer during a generational travel vacation to Jamaica:
• Half Moon Resort, A RockResort, located in Montego Bay, offers private four- to seven-bedroom villas. This 400-acre luxury resort features a spa, 18-hole signature golf course, a Dolphin Lagoon, Children’s Village, water sports, fitness center, equestrian center and more. Guests can choose a European Plan (EP) or all-inclusive plan when staying in one of its private villas.
• Jamaica Inn, located in Ocho Rios, features one and two bedroom, private cottages with panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea. Each cottage features direct access to the sea and a private infinity plunge pool. Guests can choose an optional all-inclusive meal plan.
• Round Hill Hotel & Villas, in proximity to Montego Bay, is situated on a private peninsula with 110 acres. Round Hill has 27 individually owned private villas with private pools. The resort offers water sports, a spa, library and daily afternoon tea.
• Bluefields Bay Villas, located on the South Coast, features six secluded seafront villas overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The property offers snorkeling and sea-kayaking, chefs to prepare gourmet meals and a Jamaican concierge who serves meals, and clarifies preferences on food and drink. Villas range in sizes with occupancies of 4 - 12 persons.
• Frenchman’s Cove, located in Port Antonio, features a Great House with private rooms and secluded cottages for groups of up to six people. Frenchman’s Cove includes butler service to prepare meals.
• Beaches Negril is a lush tropical all-inclusive resort catering to families. There are several unique room and suite categories to accommodate families with available occupancies of up to 12 people.
• The Tryall Club, in close proximity to Montego Bay, differs from the typical resort. The property’s 86 villas offer visitors a dazzling array of options, from beachfront bungalows to elegant hillside chalets. A couple may choose a cozy one-bedroom retreat, while an extended family of several generations may opt for a 7 or 8 bedroom manor.
• Adventure Tours - Adults can tour the rugged and beautiful Blue Mountains while the kids embark on a downhill bicycling tour or hike. Tour operations such as Chukka Caribbean also offer water sports, ATV tours, water tubing, horseback riding and much more.
• Cruising - Adventure tour operators like Island Routes offer themed catamaran cruises complete with beverages and lunch at some of the island’s popular restaurants, such as Rick’s Café or Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville.
• Dolphin Cove – Just across the road from Dunn’s River in Ocho Rios, Dolphin Cove is a 3 acre marine park where nature lovers can interact with dolphins, sharks and stingrays.
• Dunn’s River Falls – As one of Jamaica’s national treasures, Dunn’s River Falls is a must-see waterfall for visitors of all ages to capture great photo opportunities as well as climb the illustrious natural wonder.
• Heritage tours and museums - From the Bob Marley museum to the Green Grotto Caves, the National Gallery and walking tours in Historic Falmouth, parents, grandparents and kids of all ages can embark on a truly unique and historic Jamaican experience.
• “Meet the People” program, features a pre-planned pairing with a local resident that’s catered to a visitors interest.
• Mystic Mountain - With over 100 acres to explore, Mystic Mountain is the ultimate rainforest experience. Visitors can experience its unforgettable ecosystem or indulge their adventurous side by gliding through treetops during a canopy ride or partake in a heart-pumping bob-sled mountain ride.