|Accompong - Maroon Village alive with History|
This village located in St. Elizabeth is named after its founder Accompong, brother of Quao, Cuffy, Cudjoe, and Nanny, the leader and founder of Nanny Town. They were well trained warriors from the Ashanti area of West Africa.
The Maroon signatories of the treaty of 1 March 1739 were the brothers Cudjoe, Accompong and Johnny, along with Cuffee and Quaco – all styled ‘Captain’ in the articles of pacification. The village was built on the site of the camp chosen by Accompong from which he had raided the surrounding countryside.
As at other Maroon towns, the leader at Accompong today is called the Colonel. A festival (open to the public) called ‘Cudjoe’s Day’ is held here every 6 January to celebrate the signing of the treaty and the founding of the town,
|< Prev||Next >|