|Jamaica's historic town to become cruise ship destination|
There are plans to transform the historic town of Port Royal into a thriving cruise-tourist destination to attract more visitors to Kingston.
The Minister of Transport and Works, Michael Henry said he would be meeting with representatives from the internationally renowned Carnival Cruise Lines on May 11 in order to iron out an agreement for the cruise liner to take passengers to the well-known destination.
Henry was addressing the launch of the $465 million 'Palisadoes Shoreline Protection and Rehabilitation Works' programme at Palisadoes Road in Kingston.
The project, set to begin in July this year, will repair and protect the Palisadoes roadway and shoreline against storm surges and heavy rainfall.
The Palisadoes main road is the only access route to Kingston's major airport, the Norman Manley International Airport, as well as Port Royal. However, the roadway has been under threat from hurricanes and storm surges for some time.
The project will be executed by Chinese maritime contractors China Harbour Engineering Co Ltd, with the Chinese government providing 85 per cent financing through the Chinese EX-IM Bank, with the Jamaican Government supplying the remaining 15 per cent
According to Henry, the Palisadoes project will bring to reality a number of other programmes set to be implemented along the island's southeastern coastline.
These include protective work in St Thomas for which a contract was recently signed, as well as work to be done on the bridge at Harbour View.
Henry said in late July to early August the first floating dry dock for Jamaica will also be built at Harbour View.
The transport and works minister also disclosed plans to intensify the development of Kingston's ports to take advantage of the steady increase in the volume of shipping.
|< Prev||Next >|