Know someone with suicidal tendencies?
Here's how to help them:
- Don't be interrogative to persons who have suicidal thoughts.
- Take every threat seriously.
- Don't treat persons with suicidal thoughts as if they were mad.
- Parents should not compare them to others but instead, try to affirm the positive in them.
- Don't overreact, as sometimes they would tell you more but are not sure if you could handle it.
- Tell them how important life is.
- Help them to explain their feelings.
If you have suicidal thoughts:
- Talk about what you are feeling and avoid the tendency to lock yourself away from others.
- Focus on the positive things about your life.
- Take the opportunity to help others.
- Don't take on the cares of tomorrow; live one day at a time.
- Be open to spiritual intervention.
- Align yourself with positive people.
- Reject negativism, including negative self-talk.
- Effectively maximise your strengths.
- Develop your gifts and potential.
- Talk it over with someone.
- Involve yourself in service to others.
- Value yourself for who you are.
- Establish positive interpersonal relationships.